Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My Favorite Things: Fashion Favorites

I've decided to follow Jeanne Oliver's lead and share some of my favorite things on this blog.  Right now I'm in the midst of some heavy academic writing so I need a light and fun topic to blog about! 

Plus, if you are like me, you are always on the lookout for a tried and true product and are interested in knowing what items others like to use.  So today, I'll start by sharing my fashion favorites.

Recently, a friend gave me a lovely compliment, telling me that she admired how confident I was in my unique style.  Her words really made me feel good and got me thinking about my "style".  Honestly, I haven't thought much about it, but when I look in my closet, I see some definite trends.

One of the key things I've learned over the years is that you don't have to spend a lot of money to look good.  Also, accessories can go a long way in taking an outfit to the next level.  For instance, I'm a huge fan of large, statement pieces of jewelry.  

One of my news year's goals was to refocus and only buy clothing items that I love.  Love meaning that it fits well and I love how it looks.  Even though it's only the end of January, I've already passed on a few items because they didn't fit the bill....hello Anthropologie sale rack!  As long as I stick to this motto, I tend to make good choices and buy items that I wear over and over again.  

In no particular order, here are some of my favorite items:

Thanks to my best friend, I recently discovered the Artist jeans from American Eagle.  Yes, that's right, American Eagle.  No, I'm not 15 and I don't normally shop at American Eagle, but these jeans are a sneaky little secret!  They are seriously the best, most comfortable jeans I've worn in a long time.  They actually have a decent rise on them.  They are stretchy but don't lose their shape (a major pet peeve of mine).  They also come in long lengths, which is a must for me.  They are quite flattering and best of all, they're fairly cheap.  I've paid some big bucks for jeans in the past and these are just as good as the more expensive ones.  I have actually traded in my yoga pants because of these jeans.  Seriously.  I now get dressed almost every day....


source

I'm a big fan of tunic style tops.  They are comfortable, flattering and can easily be dressed up or down.  Sometimes I also wear shorter dresses as a top worn over jeans.


source
  
source

I recently ordered these hand warmers from this Etsy shop.  I love them!  My hands are always cold, so these keep them toasty while allowing me to still use my fingers.  When I'm leaving my house, I'm usually carrying multiple bags, my keys, and a squirming 18 month-old.  Gloves seem to just get in the way, but these hand warmers allow me to hold onto everything.  Another plus is that I can use my phone while wearing them.


source

I love boots.  This past fall, I purchased these cognac riding boots and I wear them almost every day.  I don't do heels so these boots are perfect.  


source

I also love my cowgirl boots.  You can't help but feel a little sassy when wearing a pair of cowgirl boots!  I have this pair.  They run a little taller than normal, which is good because I'm tall and regular cowgirl boots usually hit at the widest part of my calf....not a good look!


source


In the warmer months, long skirts and dresses are staples for me.  I have rather athletic legs, which I don't necessarily like to show, so long skirts and dresses are high on my list.  



Source


source

As I mentioned previously, I'm a fan of accessories, always wearing jewelry and scarves.  I think accessories are a really easy way to make an outfit unique.

This time of year, I wear a scarf almost every day.


source

I LOVE jewelry.  I'm pretty sure I get my love of jewelry from my mom!  She and I share the same style and we love to wear big, bold pieces.  I have a preference for long earrings, chunky pendants, large rings, and cuff bracelets.  And I'm particularly drawn to turquoise and amber pieces.  I do have a few rules when it comes to accessories though, and I try not to wear too many at once.  For instance, if I'm wearing long earrings or a scarf, I usually skip the necklace.  


source


source

I also love detailed clothing.  I'm drawn to items that have embroidery, beading, or lace.  I like to wear color and I'm not afraid of patterns.  


source


source



source


Large bags are another staple accessory for me.  Again, I love patterns and details.


source


source

When it comes to fashion, I don't think too much of it.  I simply buy and wear what I love.  Although I'm mostly pretty thrifty, I'll occasionally splurge on a really unique item.  In many ways, I see clothing as a way to express myself so I try to avoid trends and stay true to what makes me feel good.

For more of my fashion favorites, you can check out my style board on Pinterest.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, this is you! You wear statement pieces of jewelry very well and I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! It must run in the family because I love your style as well :-) You always have fun jewelry too!

      Delete