Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My Favorite Things: Beauty Products

Today I'm continuing to share some of my favorite things.  These are my favorite beauty products. I should probably add that I'm not being paid to advertise any of these products.  I'm just sharing some of the things I love to use.

I'll start off with a disclaimer that I'm kind of a sucker for beauty products.  I have been ever since I was about 12 years-old.  In recent years, I've cut way back and found some products that I stand by.  I should also note that while I'm thrifty in many areas, I'm not afraid to spend a little extra money for good make-up and beauty products.  It's a little luxury that I like to give myself.

I recently read that there has been some research linking parabens to cancer.  Parabens are in most beauty products.  Although that research is disputed, I'm currently trying to make our household paraben free.  I figure it can't hurt to take the more natural approach.

So, in no particular order, here are my favorite beauty products:

Raw Shea Butter.  This is by far the best body lotion I've ever used.  When I was pregnant with Liam, I used raw cocoa butter and raw shea butter and I didn't get one stretch mark!  After that, I was sold.  I also found that when I started using these raw butters those little bumps on the back of my arms went away. Another perk is that it's paraben free and smells nice.


Source



I also recently discovered Tarte make-up.  I used Aveda mineral make-up for many years, but as I get older, I found it wasn't wearing as well on my skin.  So, I went on the hunt for some new make-up.  That's when I discovered BB cream.  I'm not a fan of liquid make-up.  I don't like anything that feels heavy on my skin but sometimes mineral make-up is too drying.  I was given a sample of this new Tarte BB cream at Sephora.  It is the best!  It has this creamy whipped texture and is airy light on my skin. The coverage is also very light and natural. I've also been wearing Tarte powder, concealer, blush and lip gloss, and I've been impressed by every single item.  The best part is that Tarte is a natural line and their products are eco-friendly and cruelty free.



Source

I have also found that the key to good make-up application is having high quality brushes.  I like Sephora's brushes.  I apply the BB cream with this one, the Pro Flawless Small Airbrush.  When using this brush, I only need to use a pea sized amount of BB cream to cover my face.  It also makes blending super easy.

Source

Another tool that I found essential is a good pair of tweezers.  My mom used to have these tweezers that were amazing but they were also about 30 years-old....I would use them every time I went to see her!  Unfortunately, those tweezers finally gave out.  That's when I found these.  They are worth every penny and are the only tweezers I've found that can easily grab really tiny hairs.

Source

When it comes to hair products, I've always been a fan of Aveda, but recently, I discovered Moroccan Oil.
I really love the oil for smoothing out my ends.  And the curl defining cream.  I actually buy the travel sizes because they are so much cheaper and they last me awhile.

Source

Prescription Tretinoin, which is a retinol cream that helps to build collagen by causing cellular turnover.  This one isn't exactly natural....but, according to my dermatologist, it's the "holy grail" of anti-aging products.  I'm not one to stress about aging, and I plan to grow old gracefully.  However, I also believe in taking good care of my skin, a lesson I learned from my mother, who just so happens to look gorgeous for her age!  In fact, on my 12th birthday, she took me to the Clinique counter and purchased quality skincare products and make-up for me.  I'm often grateful for that, because I think my skin looks pretty good, and I don't have many fine lines or wrinkles.  I'm currently looking for a new skincare line, but no matter what, Tretinoin will always be part of my routine.  I use the highest percentage available, 0.1%.  It can be a little drying on the skin, particularly in the winter months, so I usually only use it every other night, and I mix it with moisturizer before I apply it at bedtime.




Jo Malone fragrances.  I like to wear perfume, but I also like my perfume to be light.  I tend to gravitate towards floral fragrances.  Jo Malone used to make a beautiful fragrance called Vintage Gardenia, but it was recently discontinued.  That means I'm going to have to find a new one once my Vintage Gardenia runs out.  I do like Wild Bluebell and French Lime Blossom as well.  One of the cool things about Jo Malone fragrances is that they are designed to be mixed together.

Source

And last but not least...Burt's Bees lip balm. My favorite is the kind that comes in the tin.  I've been using it for years. I apply it every night before I go to bed.

source

As you can see, I like my beauty products!  These are a just a few of my favorites.  What about you?  What beauty products do you like to use?

No comments:

Post a Comment