Wednesday, August 6, 2014

3 Years-Old

Dear Liam,

You turned 3 a few days ago! Happy 3rd birthday!  I cannot believe you are three!  When I look back on the last three years it feels like a whirlwind of love and awe.  At times it seems that I can barely remember life before you, which is okay because that life feels very insignificant to me.  You certainly gave my life greater meaning and a greater purpose.



Two was quite a year for you as you grew into your own little person.  You are now talking in full sentences and saying the funniest things.  I just love that you now tell me stories and can respond when I ask you about your day. 

You transitioned to a toddler bed when you were around 2 and 1/2 years old.  Your dad and I were worried, but the transition went fairly smoothly.  Although we did have to put a special handle on your door to lock you in your room so you will stay in there at bedtime!  We have a sweet little bedtime ritual, and it's one of my favorite times of the day.  After you get in your jammies and brush your teeth, we read a few books and then you and me, or you and your daddy, or sometimes all three of us snuggle and sing songs.  We always sing the same special songs, Bid You Goodnight, Linger, You Are My Sunshine, and Down To the River to Pray.  I just love that you still like to snuggle and rest your head on my shoulder at bedtime.  I love the way your soft curls feel against my cheek and your little arms wrapped around me.  I treasure those moments because I know they will not last forever. 

You still have your binky but only when it's time to sleep.  Somewhere along the way, last fall, you started needing two binkies to go to sleep!  You suck on one and then use the other to rub your cheek.  Now that you are three, someday soon the binky fairy will come visit you to take the binkies away.

You still go to Leenie's two days a week.  You love to go there and see your friends.  Annie is your best friend but you also like Skyler and Charlie.  It's so fun to see how much you enjoy being around other children.  You also love your friend Cecelia.   The two of you have so much fun when we go and see music.  You had a blast together at the Romp Bluegrass Festival. 



You are really into superheroes these days.  Spiderman is your favorite, but you also really like Iron Man and the Hulk.  You are kind of fascinated by the Hulk but aren't quite sure about him because he looks scary!  You have a superhero Look and Find book that you have spent hours studying.  You really enjoy looking at all of those pictures.  You have recently started doing imaginative play, and you can sometimes be heard talking to Spiderman and the Hulk, which is pretty funny.  You also like the Star Wars characters and love to play with your Darth Tater.  When we go to the library, you always look for the Star Wars books.


You enjoy doing art projects and love to paint.  You usually start out using paint brushes but then end up finger painting.  I think you just like making a mess! You still really enjoy playing music too.  In fact, you love it when your daddy plays guitar with you.

You really enjoy doing puzzles and get great satisfaction when you figure one out all by yourself. You are obsessed with trucks of all kinds and anytime we drive by a construction site, you name all of the trucks that you see.  You got to drive an excavator with daddy in May when we were fixing the sewer line and you thought that was the coolest thing ever!



You love to be outside.  In fact, I try to get you outside every day because you have so much energy.  On days when I don't work, we often go hiking.  You are a pretty good little hiker and love to explore.  One of your favorite things is to throw rocks in the creek.  You could spend hours throwing those rocks!  You also really enjoy the park and love to climb and swing.  In fact, you are fearless when it comes to playground equipment and when we are at home we have to tell you not to climb on the furniture so you resort to climbing on mommy and daddy instead.   



We went swimming a lot this summer.  You are a good little swimmer, especially with your puddle jumpers.  You love it so much that every time we leave the pool, you cry and ask to go back.

One of my favorite things to do is to watch you and your daddy play.  You just love your daddy and watching the two of you is the sweetest thing.  When your dad gets home from work, you yell his name and go running to him.  You can often be heard asking him "Daddy, you want to play with me?"  He is definitely your buddy and you want to be just like him.  If he's doing a project around the house, you are right next to him, mimicking his every move.  You love your tools because they are just like daddy's!



On your birthday, we had a special day with just our little family.  Your dad and I took you to the children's garden at the Missouri Botanical Garden for the morning.  You love it there!  We also ate ice cream cake and you opened your presents.  You got a big boy bow and arrow set, so your daddy taught you how to shoot it.  That evening, we ate pizza and then went to see some music at a park with our friends.


Whenever we get in the car, I always turn and look at you and tell you that you are my buddy.  In response, you say, "Mommy, you're my girl!"  The way you say it warms my heart and gives me the biggest smile.

You have started to test us some, and every so often you throw a little tantrum.  When you are mad or upset you stick out your lower lip and get the most pathetic look on your face.  It's heartbreaking but also super cute at the same time.

You really like Dylan, and like to snuggle up to him on the floor.  He's an old dog, but he's very patient with you and enjoys your affection.

This is definitely a magical stage that we are in.  I love watching you and listening to you talk. You are such a sweet little person. You have the sweetest smile, and I just love it when you break into a little grin.

You definitely light up my world in so many miraculous ways.  I am so blessed that I get to be your mommy.




Happy birthday Liam!  I can't wait to see what kind of magic 3 brings!

1 comment: