Thursday, August 2, 2012

First Birthday

Liam turns one today!

I can hardly believe it.  How can it possibly be a year?   Time plays tricks on us sometimes.  It seems like just yesterday that I held him in my arms for the first time. Yet, at the same time, it feels like life before him hardly existed.

This year has been remarkable...full of growth and change.  My heart has expanded in ways that I never imagined.  Somehow, I feel stronger and more secure, yet also more unraveled.  I suppose that's what happens when your heart is cracked open and you experience such a big, overwhelming kind of love.

These days, I watch him and how he's changing and developing and I couldn't be happier.  He's growing.  He's strong.  He's healthy.  He's exactly as he should be.  I am so grateful and so blessed.

When I find myself feeling a little sad that my baby is growing up, I have to remind myself that this is what the journey is all about.  Each stage is brief and fleeting...and that's what makes it so unbelievably precious. The best thing I can do, rather than trying to hold onto these moments, is to simply be present and soak them up while they last.

Today, when I look at him, I'm in awe.  It's simply amazing to think that in 12 months time, he has gone from this:


To this:


He's walking.  He's talking.  He laughs constantly.  It seems that just when I think this stage is the best! we turn a corner and somehow, I find him even more joyful and more fun.

As we enter into toddlerhood, I am starting to see his little personality shine.  I am also starting to see glimpses of more challenging times ahead.  As we spend our days together, I get to see the world in a new light.  To him, everything is new and fascinating.  On a daily basis, he reminds me of the magnificence that surrounds us.  As I watch him, I see clearly that he is not only our child but also our teacher, and this journey is packed full of lessons.

I love how this little boy has changed me for the better and opened my heart.  I love how he lights up our world.   He truly is the best of both of us.

I love him more than I ever thought possible.

And today, I love that he is turning one.

I can't wait to see what one brings.






No comments:

Post a Comment