Saturday, March 15, 2014

Paris - Part deux


I wrapped up my last post about the Paris trip with our visit to the Eiffel Tower.  

The following day, we headed to the Louvre, which was just a short walk from our apartment. 

Going to the Louvre has been on my life list since I took French classes in high school!  And I must say, it did not disappoint.  However, I wasn't quite prepared for the size of this place. It used to be palace and it's massive.  I actually got lost at one point.  
  

I didn't bring my big camera on this day because my shoulder was aching from lugging my bag around, and I definitely regret it.  My pictures would have been much better with my SLR.  So excusing the quality of my pictures, here are a few of my highlights:


The Venus de Milo was probably my favorite piece.  In fact, this wing, that was full of ancient Greek and Roman sculptures, was my favorite part of the museum.  I couldn't believe both the size and the detail of these pieces. 


I knew the Mona Lisa was going to be smaller than expected, but she was still impressive to view and her eyes definitely follow you!


 Of course there were numerous beautiful paintings, too many to post.  One of my favorite parts of this experience, however, was just walking through this beautiful palace.  It was gorgeous!


That afternoon, after we had lunch, we headed back to our apartment to relax and work on our presentation, which was the following day.  

On Friday, we spent most of the day at the conference.  Our presentation went very well, and to celebrate we decided to take a cruise along the Seine that evening.  The weather wasn't the best, but I got some really good shots of the city.  I just loved seeing these beautiful old buildings along the river. 

The Louvre


Notre Dame


On Saturday, we awoke and had our standard chocolate croissant.  Then we headed out to do some shopping.  I had decided that I wanted to bring home some pottery to display in our house.  I read about a pottery shop La Maison Ivre and so we headed that way.  And this store was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

I would have bought half of the things on display if I could.  It was full of beautiful linens and pottery. 


I came home with this beautiful piece which is displayed on one of our shelves. 


I love that every time I look at it, it reminds me of this fabulous trip.

After buying our trinkets, we went to a delicious crepery for lunch.  After that, Angela and her mom headed to Sacre Coeur.  I was kind of tired of the tourist scene and really just wanted to soak up my last day in Paris.  So I wandered the streets, popping into various boutiques and finally landed at a cafe where I sat and people watched and wrote in my journal.  

Our trip ended that night with a fabulous French meal where I had the most delicious risotto and chocolate mousse for dessert, of course. 

I feel so very grateful and so very blessed to have had this experience.  It was a wonderful trip, and I will cherish the memory.  The French definitely enjoy life, and since I've been home, I've been inspired to slow down a bit, savoring a few special moments of each and every day. 

My hope is that one day, I can return to France and explore the countryside.  I would love to see more of this beautiful country. 





No comments:

Post a Comment