Thursday, March 20, 2014

Bringing home a little bit of France

While I was in France, I was particularly impressed with the some of the ways the French seem to just enjoy life. 

I was also smitten with their approach to food as well as their style. 

Here are some of my favorites:

  • Their coffee was amazing.  Every afternoon, we enjoyed a cup of espresso.  I've never had espresso like this in the United States.  It was so rich and smooth and really makes me want to get an espresso machine.
 
  • Their food was delicious.  Honestly, we did not have a bad meal, and I  really love their focus on eating fresh.  Their streets are lined with bakeries, produce stands, butchers, and cheese shops.  They shop almost daily and prepare their meals with all fresh ingredients. The food is rich, but the portions are reasonable.  They definitely prefer quality over quantity. 
 

 
  • Have I talked about the chocolate?  Yum.  I had chocolate mousse for dessert multiple times.  So so good.  I may have come home with a slight chocolate addiction and have since been enjoying some good, dark chocolate on a daily basis. 

 
  • I loved just sitting in the cafes that line the streets and people watching.  Something that was very noticeable was the lack of technology in these cafes.  I never saw anyone on their cell phone during a meal, or even while having coffee.  From what I understand, they really value being present when they are with other people.  It was refreshing and makes me realize just how plugged in we Americans are. 

  • Paris is known for it's fashion.  And now I know why.   I never knew you could tie a scarf in so many different ways.  And I saw some amazing handbags. Everyone looks fashionable, but in a very natural way.  It's like they aren't even trying.  I definitely came home inspired.  
 

  • Perhaps most inspiring was the fact that the Parisians just seemed to enjoy their leisure time.  In the late afternoons and evenings, the cafes were packed.  They really seem to prioritize taking some time to relax during their day.  Since I've been home, I find myself taking the time to enjoy an afternoon cup of tea.  I also have been working more from cafes rather than just sitting in my office. I've noticed that even these simple, small things can make a big difference in how I feel.  Even just a few moments of leisurely, intentional time can go a long way.


I continue to hold onto a little bit of Paris. The trip was a good reminder to focus a little more on enjoying the present, soaking up the good things in life, each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment