Friday, May 17, 2013

Girls' Weekend

Last month I wrote about a girls' weekend with some of my dearest friends. 

A couple of weeks ago, I traveled to Nashville, TN for a girls' weekend with another group of close friends, my roommates from college.  These ladies are also like my sisters.   

I can hardly believe that its been fourteen years since we graduated from the University of Notre Dame.  It seems like it was just yesterday.  Here we are then (looking our finest!).  I have very vivid memories of that day....it was such a rite of passage.  The world was so exciting and none of knew where we would end up, but we swore that we would stay together and sure enough, we've made that happen.  


Do you ever feel like time plays tricks on you?  I really don't feel like that was fourteen years ago.  And when we get together, it never ceases to amaze me how quickly we pick up where we left off....as if we haven't missed any time.  We know one another so very well. 




Here we are in Nashville, fourteen years later.  Still together.  Still making each other laugh like it's our job! We met up because the last of us is about to get married this August, and we gathered to celebrate her in all of her bachelorette glory!  





We have kept in touch via regular group emails and though we are scattered about the country, we manage to see one another at least every year or two.  

These ladies are amazing.  When I first got to Notre Dame, I struggled a bit because I wasn't sure where I fit in.  I felt a little lost, like I was different from most.  But then I found a place with these ladies, and they quickly became my home.  We all lived in the same girls' dorm and were roommates in some form or another throughout our four years.  I have so many wonderful memories of our time living together.  


We are all very different but that's part of the beauty of the group.  Despite our differences, we have always loved one another unconditionally and supported each other through all of our endeavors.  We have seen each other through many ups and downs, numerous relationships, break-ups, marriages, pregnancies, children, graduate school, and career moves. I'll never forget when I was going through a particularly tough time, and this group of women surprised me by gathering for a weekend in Chicago.  I'm not sure if they know it, but for me, that weekend was a turning point where I finally began to find myself again.  


This is one inspiring group of women.  They are smart and driven and extremely successful. 
Simply put, I adore them.  And I'm a better woman for having them in my life.

Friendships like these are such a precious gift, and I'm so very grateful.  My hope is that we continue to maintain our connection, growing old together, sharing in all of our joys and sorrows.  I like to imagine us as old women, gathered around, drinking cocktails and laughing until our bellies hurt! 



No comments:

Post a Comment